- Author: Corey Beilstein
Big Sister’s Potato/Apple Bake
My sister started making this delicious side dish for holiday meals a few years ago. It can be a nice change from heavy casseroles and it’s perfect for a pot luck, too. It’s delicious… sweet and creamy and best of all, not much work at all! Peel, layer, bake, scoop and savor.
- Preparation Time: 00:25
- Cook Time: 01:00
- Cuisine: American
- Servings: 8
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Brush a large, shallow ovenproof dish with melted butter or oil.
- 3Peel potatoes and cut into thin disc slices.
- 4Peel, core and quarter the apples. Cut into thin slices.
- 5Slice the peeled onion into very fine rings.
- 6Layer potatoes, apples and onions in the prepared dish, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- 7Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- 8Pour the cream over top, covering as evenly as possible.
- 9Sprinkle with nutmeg, black pepper and a dash of salt.
- 10Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. NOTE: To prevent potatoes and apples from browning before assembling the dish, place in a bowl of cold water with a squeeze of lemon juice. Drain and pat dry before assembling.