- Author: Jamie Schleicher
With my family, it always seems like we have the untraditional traditions. While most families are cooking up their holiday hams, festive cranberry glazes and baking their Christmas cookies, my family will tell you that it’s not Christmas unless we are serving up my mom’s lasagna. I’m not sure how it started, or how it became our signature Christmas meal, but it’s definitely a family favorite. Sure, it seems like your average lasagna recipe, but it’s the cream cheese sauce that really makes the difference. You won’t be able to resist going back for seconds. We are usually gathered around the dinner table for several hours after eating, catching up and playing board games. Truth be told, it’s because we are too stuffed to move from our seats. Enjoy!
P.S. It goes great with Cheesy Garlic Bread!
- Preparation Time: 00:45
- Cook Time: 00:30
- Cuisine: Italian
- Servings: 8
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 (16 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (cooked, drained)
- 2 (6 ounce) packages mozzarella cheese slices (or 12 ounces of grated mozzarella cheese)
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large skillet, brown meat over medium-high heat and drain fat.
- 3Add onion, cook until tender.
- 4Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, garlic and seasonings. Reduce heat to low and cover skillet; simmer 30 minutes.
- 5Combine cream cheese and milk in a separate saucepan, stir over low heat until smooth.
- 6In a 9x13 baking dish, layer half of the noodles, meat mixture, cream cheese sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese; repeat layers.
- 7Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.