During WW2, my husband Allen’s grandmother and her sisters lived together while their husbands were off at war. Beef was hard to come by because of rations, so in order to have meat sauce for their spaghetti, they used bacon, which was more readily available. To this day, it’s a winter staple for the Zarings, and it is sooooo good.
- Preparation Time: 00:25
- Cook Time: 00:30
- Cuisine: Italian
- Servings: 5
- 1 pound of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, 1/2 inch dice
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1 box of spaghetti, cooked
- 1Cook bacon in sauté pan and drain off the grease.
- 2Add diced onion and sauté until softened.
- 3Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black pepper and sugar.
- 4Pour all over hot spaghetti and enjoy.