- Author: Jeff Johns
Balsamic & Honey Blueberry Pie
It’s that time of year again, where the blueberries are ripe and out of this world delicious. This pie is a super fruit spectacular when the flavors of the tart blueberries and balsamic meld with the sweet honey all combined with a golden buttery crust. For those reasons this pie is has risen to the top as one of my favorites. As blueberries peak in season this is one pie that’s definitely worth the time in the kitchen. Plus while enjoying this delicious dessert be sure to note all the benefits of blueberries, like being a natural antioxidant powerhouse, boosts brain function, improves skin health, and even supports healthy blood pressure. Have a slice and enjoy!
- Preparation Time: 00:55
- Cook Time: 01:05
- Cuisine: American
- Servings: 8
- Crust Ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup cold, but not too cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 8 tablespoons of ice water
- Blueberry Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 7 ½ cups of fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs (Save one for adding wash to pie crust before baking)
- 1Prepare the Pie Crust: Blend first 3 ingredients in processor then slowly add in ice cold water.
- 2Flour clean surface to begin rolling dough for pie pans. Once rolled out place into pie pan that has been buttered cut of edges, fold over dough and crimp the edges. Be sure to save 20% of the dough for adding lattice to the top of pie.
- 3Roll out remaining dough and cut into thin strips for lattice, place on floured plate for use later. One tip to get just the right amount of dough for your pie pan is to turn the pie pan over, then place it on top the dough and cut around the pie pan leaving about 2 inches of dough all the way around. This will then fold over resulting in a nice thick edge to the pie.
- 4Prepare filling: Use 1 ½ cups of the blueberries in a large bowl. Crush blueberries until most have turned into juice. Stir in cornstarch and balsamic until corn starch dissolves. Stir in remaining ingredients including sugar, egg, cinnamon, black pepper, butter cubes, honey. Then add in final 6 cups of blueberries and stir.
- 5Add the pie filling into the dough that has been placed in pie pan. Then it’s time to add the lattice on top of the pie. Just simply lay out your largest pieces to your smallest both vertically and horizontally. Then weave them under each piece to obtain the pie lattice. Before baking in oven brush all crush with an egg wash till it’s evenly covered.
- 6Preheat oven to 425. Bake pie on foil lined baking sheet for 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 and bake for 15 more minutes. (Continue to check pie to assure that crust is not getting too brown) Cover pie with foil to prevent over browning and bake 30 more minutes until crust is golden and filling starts to begin to bubble in the center of the pie. Wait 1 to 2 hours before serving.