- Author: Jeff Johns
Balsamic & Honey Blueberry Pie
It’s that time of year again, where the blueberries are ripe and out-of-this-world delicious. This pie is a super-fruit spectacular when the flavors of the tart blueberries and balsamic meld with the sweet honey, all combined with a golden buttery crust. For those reasons this pie has risen to the top as one of my favorites. As blueberries peak in season this is one pie that’s definitely worth the time in the kitchen. Plus, while enjoying this delicious dessert, be sure to note all the benefits of blueberries, like being a natural antioxidant powerhouse, boosting brain function, improving skin health, and even supporting healthy blood pressure. Have a slice and enjoy!
- Preparation Time: 00:55
- Cook Time: 01:05
- Cuisine: American
- Servings: 8
- Crust Ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup cold (but not too cold) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 8 tablespoons of ice water
- Blueberry Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 7 ½ cups of fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs (save one for adding wash to pie crust before baking)
- 1Prepare the Pie Crust: Blend first 3 ingredients in processor then slowly add in ice-cold water.
- 2Flour a clean surface to begin rolling out the dough. Prepare a pie pan by coating with butter. Once crust has been rolled out, place into pie pan and cut off excess. Fold dough over and crimp the edges. (TIP: to get just the right amount of dough for your pie pan, place the pie pan upside-down on the rolled-out dough, and cut around the pan leaving about 2 inches of dough all the way around, which allows for a nice thick edge to the pie.) Be sure to save 20% of the dough for the lattice top.
- 3To prepare the lattice top, roll out remaining dough and cut into thin strips, then place on floured plate for use later.
- 4Prepare filling: Place 1 ½ cups of the blueberries into a large bowl. Crush blueberries until most have turned into juice. Stir in cornstarch and balsamic vinegar until corn starch dissolves. Stir in remaining ingredients including sugar, egg, cinnamon, black pepper, butter cubes, honey. Then add in final 6 cups of blueberries and stir.
- 5Add the pie filling into the pie crust in the pan. Then it’s time to add the lattice on top of the pie. Simply lay out your largest pieces to your smallest, both vertically and horizontally. Then weave them under each piece to achieve the lattice pattern. Before baking, brush all crust with an egg wash until it’s evenly covered.
- 6Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake pie on foil-lined baking sheet for 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 15 more minutes. (Continue to check pie to assure that crust is not getting too brown.) Cover pie with foil to prevent over browning and bake 30 more minutes until crust is golden and filling begins to bubble in the center of the pie. Wait 1 to 2 hours before serving.